'Ponce' Ambigram

I'm not sure why, but ambirgram's make for great tattoos. Clint and I designed this tattoo for a friend. Her last name is 'Ponce.' We wanted it to be legible when read right side up, and upside down. Go ahead, flip your monitor around. See?



Our Red Fish Blue logo is an ambigram, that is why the font is so unusual. I first heard about ambigrams about 4 years ago when I read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. In his novel the 'Illuminati' have 5 famous ambigrams: Earth, Wind, Fire, Water and Illuminati. I recently watched the movie, and I liked the way they did the ambigrams in it.

An ambigram as defined by wikipedia:
An ambigram, also sometimes known as an inversion, is a typographical design or artform that may be read as one or more words not only in its form as presented, but also from another viewpoint, direction or orientation. The words readable in the other viewpoint, direction or orientation may be the same or different from the original words. Douglas R. Hofstadter describes an ambigram as a "calligraphic design that manages to squeeze two different readings into the selfsame set of curves." Different ambigramists may create completely different ambigrams from the same word or words, differing in both style and form.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW, This is really cool guys I may have to try to get in contact with you to do my name! Great job!! :-)

nagfa said...

The Red Fish Blue ambigram's superb. The Escher-like logo, too.

Correction: There's 6 ambigrams in Angels & Demons (novel); the 6th one is the famous Illuminati Diamond ambigram.. And make that 7 if you add the Angels&Demons ambigram on the cover of some books.

We design ambigrams, too.

nagfa,
Singapore

Chase said...

You're right. I looked up some of the artist's work who did the Angels and Demons ambigram, very nice stuff. You're blog, also very cool. It is impressive how many you have done.

Anonymous said...

nice, could you help design my tatoo?